There are some major regulatory changes occurring in the rodenticide market in Canada. These new Federal restrictions for several domestic class anti-coagulant type rodenticide active ingredients are being passed with the intent to prevent the accidental exposure of children and non-target animals. After June 30, 2014, only domestic rodenticides that conform with the following will be available through your local retailer.
The major new requirements for domestic class anti-coagulant rodenticide products are:
- Domestic class rodenticide products containing second-generation anticoagulants (single feeding actives: brodifacoum, bromadiolone and difethialone) are prohibited.
- All loose bait forms of anti-coagulant type rodenticides (such as, meal, treated whole-grain, pellet and liquid) are prohibited.
- Domestic class rodenticides must always be used in bait stations. Block or solid formulations are the only types allowable.
- Bait must be in a form that is reasonably expected to remain in a bait station, except for bait removed, and crumbs created, by target rodents.
- Products must be sold packaged with a bait station, which must meet the new bait station requirements.
- Pelletized corn cellulose (which is not an anti-coagulant but works as a digestive-disruption) will still be available in pellet form.
Due to this impending ban we were required to stop production on Second Generation baits (single feeding), and pelletized, loose seed, and meal forms of First-Generation baits (multi-feeding), as of December 31, 2012.
Retailers had time to sell off any remaining stock by June 30, 2014, with end users generally having up to three years to use the bait.
Here is a list of new rodenticide products we have introduced in response to this ban:
- Wilson Warfarin Re-usable Bait Station Kit (Warfarin – 1 station, 16 blocks)
- Wilson Warfarin Block Single Use Bait Station (Warfarin – Packages of 1, 3 or 6 stations with block)
- Wilson Wilsarin Rat & Mouse Killer (Corn Cellulose pellets – 6 ea or 12 ea x 60g bags)
- Wilson Predator Rat Bait Station Pre-filled (Diphacinone – 1 station with block)
- Wilson Predator Mouse Bait Station (Diphacinone – 1 or 4 station with block)
- Wilson Predator Rat & Mouse Killer (Corn Cellulose pellets – 6 ea or 12 ea x 60g bags)
- Wilson Predator Mouse Bait Station Kit (Diphacinone – 1 station, 8 blocks)
- Wilson Riddex Mouse Bait Station Pre-filled (Chlorophacinone – 2 ea or 6 ea x 40g station with block)
- Wilson Riddex Mouse Bait Station Kit (Chlorophacinone – 1 station, 20 blocks)